Thursday, October 15, 2009

Felicious Dish of the Week: Potsticker Stir-Fry

On Sunday, I was driving home, and remembered what was in the vegetable drawer: Portabello Mushroom Caps! Three of Them!


"Ohh, yes," I thought, "This is going to be damn good." Mushrooms are one food item I've grown to love since 'becoming an adult,' which just means, some specific dish I ate some specific time in college. I dig porcini and portabello, but as of yet have not branched out to some of the more spindly and exotic kinds, like the kinds you could pick on a walk through the woods. When I worked at Wildflour as the sandwich lady, I had to grill Portabello Mushrooms, Zucchini, Red Onion, and Red Pepper. The mushrooms take the longest, just like cooking a piece of meat, I'd stand and flip them long after all else had been grilled. I was a very happy camper on those days. The red pepper skins would be scorched black, so you have to rub them off, and sometimes I didn't wear gloves, so I'd have red pepper hands.



1. started 1 1/2 cups brown rice.

2.I spent some time grilling the three mushroom caps in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. While they were cooling before chopping,

3.I spied an onion and decided i may as well hang out and make a little bit of caramelized onions. So it was.

4.When the rice was done, I chopped up some ginger and garlic and threw it in a little pan of soy sauce to heat up.

5. Then chopped up the mushrooms finally.

6. put the mushrooms back in the pan, along with the small pile of onions, added the rice, and put it on a low burn. Then I added the ginger, garlic, and soy sauce mix.

7.ENTER POTSTICKERS: Trader Joe's Thai Vegetable Gyoza Potstickers. I really like the Chicken Potstickers as well, but these veggie ones come in such a beautiful green package. I RECOMMEND THEM WITH MY LIFE! Usually you cook them in hot oil and leave them in the pan to steam for a few minutes, which I attempted, but just decided to throw them in the warming rice.


8. After a stir or two, I grabbed a few stalks of kale, chopped em up, and threw them into the mix as well. Don't be afraid of the green. It's your friend. Kale and Chard and Collard Greens are a hell of a lot firmer than, let's say, lettuce, so it takes some time for them to wilt. Good time for the Potstickers to fully cook through.


9. Finish. Admire. Eat.


Sorry I don't have a time frame for this adventure, as it was quite leisurely. Brown Rice takes 30-45 minutes, depending on whether or not you cheat and raise the heat, giving you slightly underdone rice, which would be fine if you're making a stir-fry like this.



And that is my Felicious Dish of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment