Thursday, August 13, 2009

Inaugural Eggs


Welcome to my new blog--Felicious Food!
To the left is a picture of me eating on the Champs de Mars in Paris in the summer of 2007.

I decided that I should put my love for food somewhere. I fell in love with the Food Network when I was 16, and then went to France to have culinary palate explosions, one after the other. From there, I started teaching myself more. Lately my interests are branching out to Middle Eastern, Mexican, and Thai cuisines.

Happy August Noshing. It's fresh out there. Hope you can afford the Farmer's Market Produce, or a few minutes to make something for yourself in the kitchen.
fee.

____
Egg and Avocado Sandwich
breakfast 8.13.09

On Tuesday, I spent part of my afternoon making a small batch of caramelized onions. I stood within ten feet of the pan, patiently stirring every few minutes while I watched "Paris is Burning", a documentary about the underground 'vogue' dance movement in NYC in the 80s and 90s, popularized by Madonna. The onions are a deep brown, savory and sweet. I was thinking of serving them over some roasted zucchini, but this morning I needed some eggs. I have some avocados, so I knew I was heading in a delicious direction. I was reminded of the breakfast sandwiches you could order at Darwin's in Cambridge.

2 pc. wheat toast (preferably multigrain with seeds)
2 eggs
2 oz sliced medium cheddar cheese
1/2 avocado
2 tbsp caramelized onion
2 tsp mayonnaise
sprinkle Italian seasoning
salt and pepper

Preheat the pan to medium. Toast the two slices of bread at a low to medium setting. Turn on the broiler/oven to high. Slice the cheese as thin as you can, or if not, grated would work just fine, possibly messier. Cut up half the avocado into lengthwise slices. Crack the eggs into the pan, season with a little salt and pepper, and put a lid over the top to let the yolk steam. They should take about a minute. While waiting for the eggs, Spread the mayo on one slice of the bread, and sprinkle it with the Italian seasoning. (both slices optional.) Lay the avocado on one mayo'd side, and then spread the onions on top. Flip the eggs. Wait 30 seconds, and then put them on the bread. cover both sides with cheese. Put the slices side by side on a sheet pan, (or if your frying pan is large enough and has a safe handle, just use that!) and place them under the broiler. Wait one minute. The cheese should just be gooey. Remove the pan and stack the sandwich together on a plate. Wait about 20 seconds to let the cheese settle, then slice in half and eat! Yum and Satisfaction.

Serve with coffee and the Calendar Section.

No comments:

Post a Comment